AgInnovation Ontario is an online publication of the Agri-Technology Commercialization Centre (ATCC), which is based in Guelph, Ontario.
Our goal is to tell the story of agricultural innovation in Ontario through a constantly growing, collection of information about agricultural innovation projects and opportunities in Ontario.
“The agri-food sector is a real sleeper story in the provincial export picture. Ontario is Canada’s top province for agricultural output and is well positioned to feed our increasingly hungry world. Long-term growth prospects in this sector are very strong.”
-Peter Hall, Chief Economist, Export Development Canada; April 30, 2014
Ontario’s agri-food sector contributes…
- $34 billion in GDP to the provincial economy
- 740,000 jobs
- $10.8 billion in exports
- $2.7 billion in exports to non-U.S markets
- Food and beverage is the second largest manufacturing sector in GDP and employment in Ontario.
- Food processors buy almost 65 per cent of Ontario’s food-related agricultural production.
- Ontario is the largest segment of the Canadian bioproducts market, which nationally accounted for $1.3 billion in sales and $433 million in exports in 2009. Approximately $1.3 billion has been invested into Ontario’s bioeconomy infrastructure.
- Primary agricultural production contributed almost $4 billion to Ontario’s GDP in 2012.
- Food and beverage retail sector sales reached $38 billion in 2012.
Note: All stats from Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs 2012 Industry Statistics.
The ATCC, founded in 2008, is the centre in the Canadian agricultural sector that houses organizations dedicated to new company formation, market development, expansion of existing businesses, and attraction and retention of larger firms, making it easy for companies of all sizes to access resources and support. Learn more at www.agritechcentre.ca.